Before starting any new exercise regimen, you should first consult with your personal physician
Basic Rules for all exercises:
- There should be no pain. Thighs will be getting a serious work out .. but there should not be any pain in the JOINTS. If there is …. STOP
- Knees are ALWAYS slightly bent and aligned ( over ) the foot ..
- Feet should be the width of your shoulders.
- When turning upper body ... try to keep HIPS from turning
- Never hold your breath
1. While sitting upright in a chair, lying down with knees bent or standing up .... Place the palms of both hands, fingers down and side by side, over your belly button...
2. Very gently pull your belly in ... a little bit
3. Inhale through your nose and allow belly to expand
4. Exhale and gentle pull belly back in .... Gently ... Gently
Allow each breath to role into the next. Expanding belly on the INHALE ..... Gently contracting belly on the exhale. After a while transition to doing this exercise without using your hands. This is a great exercise to do before going to sleep. Stop exercise if you get light headed ... try to do all breathing through your nose.
DRILL 2 - Breathing with Movement for Balance, Strength, Focus & Functional Relaxation. The Preparation, Right & Left
1. Start with feet in a narrow stance ( starting position ) side by side about a fist width apart ( Starting position )
2. SLOWLY turn you upper body only to the left and shift Left.
3. While you slowly turn your upper body back to the center .. and WITHOUT SHIFTING YOUR WEIGHT .. Step to the right with the right foot. Visualize there is a small soft ball in the middle of your foot. Slowly compress the entire ball into the floor until the edges of your foot are on the floor …. then slowly shift your weight so you are balanced equally Right and Left.
3. Slowly turn you upper body (only) to the left and shift left
4. Slowly turn your upper body to the front and while you are making this turn …. Slowly bring your right foot back in, about a fist width from the left foot, You are now in back to the starting position. All movements, shifts and steps are made during and throughout the turn of the body ( center ).. Hips/ pelvic area remains to the front
5. ALTERNATE THE PREPARATION LEFT AND RIGHT. WHEN COMFORTABLE WITH THE PHYSICAL MOVEMENTS, INCORPORATE THE FOLLOWING BREATHING PATTERN
- Inhale and Shift
- Exhale and step
- Inhale and Shift
- Exhale and Step In - BACK TO THE STARTING POSITION